Substance Abuse Prevention and Control

Interested in Becoming a SAPC Contracted Provider?

Substance Abuse Prevention and Control (SAPC) is committed to creating and maintaining a strong and diverse provider network to meet the SUD treatment needs of Los Angeles County. SAPC has developed a set of minimum programmatic and fiscal requirements that prospective applicants must meet before they will be considered for a contract.

Below is key information to keep in mind when determining if you should apply for a substance use disorder drug Medi-Cal (DMC) treatment contract with Los Angeles County.

To become a contracted provider for other programs (non-DMC), click here.

  • Having a DMC Certification issued by the Department of Health Care Services, does NOT guarantee a contract.
  • DPH-SAPC’s decision to enter into contracts with for-profit agencies (with the exception of Opioid Treatment Programs) may be influenced by funding limitations related to these agencies.
  • Contracts are based on availability of funds and service need. Even if a provider meets the contracting application requirements, the County may not have the funds or community need to support a contract.
  • If a contract is issued, only services provided after the date of execution are eligible for reimbursement.
  • Completing the application and contracting process can be lengthy and take up to a year from submission.

It is recommended that you contact SAPC’s Contracts and Compliance Branch at (626) 299-4532, before you submit the application to learn more about our contracting process and requirements.

Follow these steps to apply for a DMC treatment contract:
  • Register to become a Los Angeles County Vendor

    To participate in County solicitations, register online at if you have not already done so. Though it will not automatically grant nor guarantee a County contract, registering online offers the following benefits:

    • Online access to County Open Bids
    • Placement on Bid Lists generated online by ALL County Departments looking for prospective vendors
    • Periodic notification by email on County Bids by specific commodities/services
    • Qualification to participate in the Small Business Enterprise Program

    You are also encouraged to visit the County's Vendor Self-Service (VSS) Portal and view the Vendor Help Guide PDF document. The Vendor Self-Service (VSS) Portal allows registered Vendors to manage account information, view financial transactions and respond to solicitations online. The Vendor Help Guide provides ways to access needed information that would help enable the County to be more responsive to the Vendor's inquiries.

    If you have additional questions about registering your agency online, please contact Internal Services Department (ISD)'s Vendor Relations Office at (323) 267-2725, Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PT.
  • Notify SAPC

    Send SAPC a Letter of Intent to apply as a DMC provider.
  • Obtain License and Certification from California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS)

    1. DHCS Alcohol and Other Drug (AOD) certification and/or license
    2. Each agency-operated site must obtain AOD certification and, if residential, licensure.
      • Review the AOD Program Certification Standards and complete the Initial Provider Application (DHCS 6002).
        The application, instructions, and related documentation are available at
      • Youth residential services require licensure from the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) instead of DHCS.
      • Residential treatment facilities must also complete the DHCS ASAM Residential Level of Care Designation Questionnaire and receive an American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) Residential Designation for provided levels of care (LOC) (ASAM 3.1, 3.3, and/or 3.5). The questionnaire and related documentation are available at
      • Withdrawal Management (1-WM, 2.1-WM, and 3.2-WM) in addition to the licensure/certification requirements listed above, must also have a Detox designation on their AOD license/certification.
      • Inpatient Withdrawal Management must be licensed by the California Department of Public Health to operate as a chemical dependency recovery hospital or free standing psychiatric facility.
      • Opioid treatment programs (OTP) must also complete the Narcotic Treatment Program Initial Application - DHCS 5014 to obtain DHCS OTP Certification. The application, instructions, and related documentation are available at

    3. DHCS Drug Medi-Cal (DMC) certification
    4. Each agency-operated site must obtain DMC certification for provided LOCs.
  • Apply for SAPC Contract

    Thank you for your interest in joining the County’s Substance Use Disorder Treatment Services Network.

    Prospective DMC Contract Application

    Please contact Contracts and Compliance Branch for additional guidance and information at

    NOTE: Both the State and County processes typically take at least six months to one year to complete so it is essential to start this process early.
Public Health has made reasonable efforts to provide accurate translation. However, no computerized translation is perfect and is not intended to replace traditional translation methods. If questions arise concerning the accuracy of the information, please refer to the English edition of the website, which is the official version.
Los Angeles County Seal: Enriching lives through effective and caring services